1. Work out more. I lost 4 pounds in August, but I’m still at my heaviest non-pregnant weight. I’ve really stepped up the workouts — more walking (including small treks during work) and running/walking at least a couple times a week on the treadmill after T goes to bed. I don’t know. Some of my pants aren’t as tight. Josh and I were talking about this the other day, and he said that I might have to give something up. He suggested I give up cooking dinner: “So what if we eat salad for dinner for a month or so?” He might be right.
2. Limit television. I’m not sure I’m even watching the TV I DVR. Though I have been watching shows on my iPad on the treadmill.
3. Make one new recipe a month. I made black bean soup in the crockpot (delicious). We did MOST of another week of The Fresh 20 (I bought a year’s access and have been systematically saving menus to Google Drive). So that’s five new recipes. And I’m sure I did others, but I never remember.
4. Make 10 projects. I’m making some clothes. It’s slow going. I only have a finite amount of free time, so I have to decide what’s most important, and it’s often not making clothes.
5. Clothing budget. $296.50/$500. I spent $78.50 on two pairs of jeans, and a shirt from J.Crew (I sent one back).
6. Fix/upcycle one clothing item a month. 5/12.
7. Declutter. Freecycle 4 lyfe, yo. I’ve gotten rid of beauty products, furniture. We bought a new TV for the bedroom, which caused some shuffling and getting rid of other stuff, but it’s actually been great. So much more space in the bedroom. And I hung up four things on the walls, which got them off the floor. AND we got both of the TVs mounted on the wall — toddler AND earthquake proof.
8. Read 52 books. 15/52. Four new ones in August.
My list this year:
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla by Lauren Willig
The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
Bossypants by Tina Fey*
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown
The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan
(*EDITED: I was adding books read to Goodreads today and realized I read Bossypants back in May and didn’t add it here.)
August has been a weird month. How have I had time for all of this?
9. Home improvements. So many plan with no time to execute. I’d just like to take down the decorations from T’s birthday party. I did, however, finally request a replacement trash bin for our damaged one.
10. Go on dates. No dates.